Google

Friday, February 15, 2008

Karan Johar on His New Film With Kajol and SRK

Karan Johar after the fiasco of KANK is done with themes of adultery. His next project is tentatively titled “Khan” and will star his dream team of Kajol and Shahrukh Khan. Some excerpts from an interview:

So you finally got your dream team together?


k.jpg

Yes, Kajol is doing my film and I’m very happy… last time, she hadn’t turned down my film, per se. I needed her to shoot out of the country for ninety days and she didn’t want to leave Nysa for such a long time. This time around I told her, ‘I need you. You just have to do my film.’ That was it.


The SRK-Kajol jodi comes with expectations.
I’d like people not to think of the kind of love story they have in their head. This is very screenplay-driven. I have just cast the actors that are required for the film. I haven’t looked at SRK and Kajol as a pair. It’s been written by Shibaji Bhatija and she has done a great job. But I am pertified, mortified and absolutely hysterical about directing this film. I even asked Shibani after reading the first draft, ‘Do you think I am the right person to direct this?’ The tone of the film is such. All I can say is that in my entire career this is possibly the biggest risk I am taking.

A bigger risk than KANK?
KANK, for me, turned out to be a risk. I didn’t venture out knowing it would turn out to be risky. I really don’t know which way this film will go. I hope it goes the way I want it to, because it’s an important film, irrespective of who’s in it or who makes it. But I don’t think there is a better cast than Shah Rukh and Kajol for this film.

Who do you think is most equipped to make it?
Mani Ratnam.

It’s called My Name Is Khan? Or just Khan?
Actually, the title is the only thing that is not final about it. I am still trying to get a title which is my preference, and I hope I get it. But there will definitely be Khan in the title.

Tell me about the film?
It’s an emotional drama (laughs). The other day someone called me and said, ‘Hey, I heard you are making a film called My Name is King Khan and it’s based on SRK’s life.’ I said ‘No, it’s an emotional love story. It’s about a man and his wife but there are a lot of issues and very interesting plot points.’


Finalised the remaining cast for the film?
No. Right now, only Shah Rukh and Kajol are on board; and let me tell you, that was done just two days ago. I was telling Kajol, it didn’t happen the last time around but this time I have to do this movie with both of you. I had to direct this film with them.

Have you seen promos of her film, U, Me Aur Hum?
I have seen one promo and it’s always great to see Kajol. She told me that working with Ajay was like working with the finest director she’s ever worked with. So I am really excited to see the film.

The best she’s worked with? And you didn’t take that as a personal insult!
No! Kajol is a very clever girl and she said that he has directed her amazingly and he has made her look fabulous. I have watched one song from the film and it’s beautiful. I’d gone across to their new house, which is beautiful and Ajay played it for me.

Oh, bonding with Mr D??
It’s all good, yaar. I don’t know how all these stories start. Things between Ajay and me have always been civil, and now they are warm. When I meet him, we chat. I may not have a one-to-one like I have with Kajol but it’s always wonderful to talk to him.

Has Kajol forgiven you for not inviting her for Farah’s baby shower that you hosted?
(Laughs) I’d invited her. I’d told her that it was happening and she had to come but I forgot to tell her the date. But that’s okay. Farah’s cool, so is Kajol. (Laughs some more) I am quite a cadet when it comes to these things, I need lists.

Do you feel the burden of expectations from your next film?
Always. I am complexed, insecure, shaky… everything. Success means nothing. Every day is a new beginning. I still feel like I am yet to make a film I am completely proud of. That I would turn back the clock and say, ‘I don’t need to change a thing.’ Whichever film of mine I watch, I cringe in parts, I get angry with myself... I ask myself, ‘why did I do this?’ I feel I haven’t made a film that is flawless. No filmmaker will tell you he or she has made the perfect film. For me, each film has regrets. I want a hundred per cent satisfation.

How do you view other director’s films?
I always look at other directors films and say, ‘Oh God! They are all so much better than me.’ When I saw Chak De! India, I was blown away by the tone of this movie, I could never achieve it. When I saw Taare Zameen Par, I was like, ‘I don’t have the guts to make this film.’ I am always in awe.

How many films do you have in you?
I think, a hundred. Everyday there is a film made inside me. Every time I see a relationship, or witness an emotional moment, I want to capture it. I am all about borrowing from real people, their lives and make movies about them. So I meet somebody, or hear a story, it makes me want to make a film about it. I wish I could. But unfortunately, I can’t.

I would really like to see you do a ‘real’ film. Based on a true story, I mean.
Actually, the film that I am directing now, is half true. It’s based on a true story.

You are joking!
Not at all. I can’t really talk about this but it’s based on a real-life couple and something that happened to them. They are based out of this country. We have fictionalised the second half but the first half is based on a completely true story. The second half begins with what happens to the protagonist, then Shibani fictionalised what could have happened and it works for me totally.

They know you are making a film about their life?
Yes, they do, and I have officially bought the rights to their life.

You can do that??
Ok, bought rights to their story. I think they were also in need... in terms of... Actually don’t want to go there. I just felt that I needed to compensate them.

Are you and SRK jointly getting into production and launching three movies?
Shah Rukh has Red Chillies, and I have Dharma, but we are kind of together anyway. We are producing our own films but any deal that I strike, it’s always in consultation with Shah Rukh and he will be a part of it. So he and I are one in any case, even though we are not one on paper. Anything I do, I run it by him first. Any decision he takes, we discuss. So it’s like Red Chillies and Dharma are the same.

Will you co-produce?
We might, of course. That could be the future. I think we are two forces that could very well combine together. In essence, we already are one. I have a joke with Aryan (SRK’s son) I always tell him, ‘you better be nice to me, someday you will inherit everything that I have.’ I always ask him, ‘you want my Bandra house, or ‘you want my town house?’

As long as you are feeling generous, I’ll take your office.
Ha, ha… sure. But seriously, SRK’s kids are really the closest I am going to get to kids for a while. So they get everything.

Directing, modelling, designing, TV show, hosting live shows. Anything new on the agenda?
I get really strange offers. Especially acting ones. For some reason, people think I can act. Of course, I don’t take them up.

Offers from who? Please tell.
No, no. You don’t even want to know. Let me tell you they have not been from any great names. (laughs)

Not Mani Ratnam?
(Cracks up) No, from him, I mean I would totally consider it if he offered me a role. I think I have pretty much done everything I ever wanted to do. I have done it all… my primary passion is making movies. Everything else is extra-curricular. My big dream is Dharma Productions. That’s more my father’s dream than mine. He wanted it to be huge and be known all over the world.

You have already done that…
I want to make it much bigger. I have been making one film in two years. Now I want to do three films a year, and who knows where I will go after that… if that experiment or endeavour is successful. I will take it from there.

And you obviously cannot direct three films a year.
That’s why we have a host of new talent. A host of new directors: Tarun, Siddharth Malhotra and Renzil. They are all first-timers and they’re making films for me. Then I have an animation film being made. We are officially launching four films, one after the other.

Tell me about the film.
My animation film is called Kootchie Kootchie Hota Hai takes off from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. It’s KKHH with dogs, cats, orangutans, pigs, donkeys and all sorts of animals. It’s an animal world but like a human world. The amenities are what you and I are used to. They have schools, colleges, hospitals, and we have…

Prada?
(sniggers) Ummm, you never know… I am the Devil and I cannot do without Prada. But we are collaborating with Prana, who are experts in animation and they are are co-producing the film.

You lost your temper with Mannish Goel on Say Shaava Shaava.
I just felt that he wasn’t sporting enough. You cannot be in the entertainment business and be this sensitive. You have to learn to handle it better. You cannot get emotional and cry over a comment on the show. I can say this because I have all kinds of things written about me in newspapers and magazines. And I just laugh it off. If I didn’t, I would be a basket case. There is a guy called Shubbu or something who writes a blog about me. He is obsessed about me. Everyday he gets up and vents against me. I find his blog very entertaining. I read it everyday.

Ever commented on it?
I tried to, but you have to become a member to do that and I find that such a bother.

Will you meet this blogger?
I would love to meet him. He is the only person I know, who is more obsessed with me than I am with myself.



No comments: